Monday, February 25, 2013

Reflection 02.26.2013

I have now finished part 1 of the book (yes, I know I am a slow reader). In the end of this part you can read a lot about Robert being in the military and about his family back in Toronto. I have realized that Robert's family loves him unconditionally, like every family should. I didn't quite know how much he meant to them before he was sent to participate in the war. His mother is devastated, and I guess it kind of came as a surprise because she handled Rowena's death so well. He loves his family too, but he doesn't appear to be missing them as much as they miss him.
I have also seen an interesting development in Robert's character. He seems to have gotten remarkably more mature and calm. He acts more experienced and wise. I think the military often does that to young men, it forces them to realize that they are adults and that they should act like mature men. Robert wasn't immature before, but he seemed a bit more insecure.
If you can see it on the picture below, there is a line there that confuses me. I think it is based upon a thought Mrs. Ross is having when she has to say goodbye to Robert. It simply says "this is the wars" and I made me wonder; are they referring to the actual war going on, or are they talking about the inner pain and conflict the friends and family of the young men killed in the war?

4 comments:

  1. Well I sure hope that you've finished the book by now! if not, I hope you try to even though you wouldn't really need to anymore haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, I also think Robert has gotten more mature. Even though he wasn't childish or immature from the start, but war really has shaped him. I guess it's all about experience and how much a person has gone through to be the true definition of oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I read that line, I was confused as well. Well, to be honest, I read the wikipedia the first day we got this project and the title of this novel does not just signify the World War, but the emotion and physical struggles of all or any of the characters. I think your second guess is also just spot on, as she leaves the church after listening to all the families sing about their lost ones in church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is neat how you are all talking about the novel and trying to figure it out together. Yes it is much more than about The Great War.
    I really enjoyed reading your reflections as they made good connections. You are right, the Wars is about all the things that are connected to the actual War...the periphery damage that is far-reaching

    ReplyDelete